Find a class
We have classes to suit all abilities. View our timetable to find a class.
The Feldenkrais Method® method is all about reorganising the self, breaking bad habits and forming new connections that help to improve general movement. As a dedicated The Feldenkrais Method® practitioner I will take you through the lesson and help you to move in a way that is right for you, working to free up your mind and body.
How can The Feldenkrais Method® help those with neurological conditions?
The brain is able to change, adapt and grow neurological pathways. This is known as neuroplasticity and this is at the core of the Feldenkrais Method®. It is often referred to as “magic” by those who have experienced either Awareness Through Movement® group lessons or Functional Integration® private lessons.
The brain’s plasticity enables it to grow/form new neural connections and pathways in response to its environment, experiences and learning. The Feldenkrais Method® takes the participant through gentle, mindful movements engaging the brain down a path of curiosity, exploration and discovery to create new neural pathways to enable it to rewire, re-root and reconnect itself for optimal function.
The Feldenkrais Method® helps you realise your habitual movement and posture patterns so that you can learn new habits thus improving your range of movement, coordination and overall wellbeing. The Method very much centres on bringing the mind and self aka “body” to a deeper connection so that you are more aware of yourself, how you move and how you fit in and interact with the environment and world around you.
The Feldenkrais Method® gradually helps your entire self to reorganise and adapt to new ways of thinking, moving and doing things by tapping into the power of neuroplasticity. With regular lessons you will notice how The Feldenkrais Method® brings profound improvements and your entire being feels transformed.
The Feldenkrais Method® is suitable for all and Functional Integration® lessons can be given to babies right through to old age. Early childhood development is so important in shaping who we become and the Princes of Wales believes that these issues are “the social equivalent to climate change” and this is where the Feldenkrais Method® can help.
Are you ready to rewire, reorganise and re-root your life by experiencing the profound method that is The Feldenkrais Method®?
What is The
Feldenkrais Method® method?
The Feldenkrais Method® method was the brainchild of Moshé Feldenkrais®, an engineer and physicist with a keen interest in human movement and learning patterns. His aim was to create a movement method that would help people become more aware of themselves, to improve their ability and “to turn the impossible into possible, to turn the difficult into the easy and the easy into the pleasant. Only activities that are pleasant will become part of a man’s habits and serve him at all times. When learning to move, one should be aware of how one is moving.” – Moshé Feldenkrais®
The Method’s® lessons lead to improvements that can be felt in day-to-day life. A lesson will probably feel different to anything you have ever done before. Teachers don’t demonstrate movements as the lesson is all about your interpretation of the instructions based on your own experiences, so you can understand more about your own self. They will, however, guide you individually when needed. The Feldenkrais Method® can help to improve movement and day-to-day functionality, giving you more freedom and a better quality of life.
of the Feldenkrais Method®
The Feldenkrais Method® has lasting implications for the way you move and the way in which your body functions. Here are some of the core benefits:
- More comfortable movement. Your teacher will ensure that you only move where it feels comfortable, as this is how you teach the nervous system to reconnect with primal pathways.
- Brain training. The Feldenkrais Method® is a way of reprogramming/reawakening the nervous system, allowing it to form new connections to improve movement and make it more seamless.
- Improved posture. Those new connections in your brain help you to move in ways that are better for the self, making good posture/freer movement available to you.
- A calmer life. There are benefits for the brain too. The Feldenkrais Method® programmes your mind and self to work together more effectively, influencing all areas of your mind.
- Back to basics. The Feldenkrais Method® movement often harks back to different stages of development, undoing bad habits and reawakening more efficient, primal ways of doing things, which feel new yet familiar.
FIND THE RIGHT CLASS FOR YOU
Speak to Ismini to discuss your requirements and find the best class for your needs.
Taking a The Feldenkrais Method® lesson
with Ismini Studios
We work with people who have a good understanding of The Feldenkrais Method® as well as those who know little about the movement method.
This is what to expect from your class:
- You can participate in The Feldenkrais Method® on your own or in a small group, with the teacher paying close attention to everyone. They don’t demonstrate moves, they simply observe and encourage.
- Do what feels right for you. Interpret the instructions how you see fit – this will be revealing about your body and your mind, giving you a starting point to work from.
- We advise people to book a block of lessons, so you will have the chance to explore The Feldenkrais Method® thoroughly. You won’t necessarily feel the benefits straight away – it takes perseverance.
If you choose a one-to-one The Feldenkrais Method® lesson, this is called a Functional Integration®. The practitioner will move your joints very gently to reawaken primal pathways rooted deep in the nervous system. This helps to reorganise the self for better functionality, physiological and psychological freedom, and a better feeling of relaxation and being at home with yourself. The mind reconnects to the self through the nervous system to become the one being that it really is.